March 28, 2012

Fave Foods-Fudge Brownies

Good morning! Just wanted to pop in and share a new recipe I made for the boys last night. I made Chicken Parmesan which was nothing fancy so I don't have a recipe to share there but I thought I would treat the boys to some dessert as well...because, really, who doesn't like dessert?! Sadly though, because we do LOVE dessert so much (and because my clothes are beginning to get more than a little snug...what is it again? "calories are little things that stitch up your clothes in the middle of the night"? um, not exactly :/ ) I decided to tinker with some "lighter" recipe versions of some of Husband's favorite foods. I do have lots of recipes that are my go to from various sources such as Cooking Light cookbooks, Oxygen magazine recipe section, etc but wanted to try some new things. Recently, I took my son to the library and signed us both up for our own library cards. Best thing I have ever done. I am very proud to say that he LOVES to read and we have a blast every week going and picking out new books (some are hits, some are misses but all are funny in some way). Perhaps, I should start a little section on the books we pick up that we really enjoy? Hmm....wait, I am getting way off track here...now, where was I??

oh, yes.....BROWNIES!!!!!!!!!


(please excuse my terrible picture here....and the fact that I forgot to take a photo BEFORE I told the boys (and myself) that the brownies were, in fact, ready to eat!

On our trip to the library last week, I added "Secrets of Fat-Free Baking" by Sandra Woodruff, RD (available here) to my book pile and I am SO glad that I did! This book is awesome! If you want to try and learn some how to's and shortcuts on "lightening" up your favorite recipes, please give this book a quick read. So, on to the recipe. For my first recipe attempt from the book, I decided to make "Fat Free Fudge Brownies" p. 58. Now, I know that just because something is "fat free" doesn't mean it is "healthy" and gives us a free pass to stuff our faces HOWEVER, it does make me feel a smidge better about treating my family to a little something baked every once in a while. Anyhoo, these brownies were super good and were exactly as their name describes....gooey, fudge-like, and delicious!! 

Fat Free Fudge Brownies      
Makes 16 Servings (these little guys pack a pretty rich punch so one will settle any craving you are having!)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup unbleached flour (I used all-purpose flour)
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt (says "optional", I used it)
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (also "optional", I did not use because Husband no like-y the walnuts)

Directions:
  • Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, and salt and stir to mix well. Stir in the applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla extract. Fold in the nuts if desired.
  • Coat an 8 inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the batter evenly in the pan, and bake at 325 degrees for 23 to 25 minutes, or just until the edges are firm and the center is almost set. 
  • Cool to room temperature, cut into squares, and serve.
So easy and so delicious. These would be great topped with some fresh sliced strawberries and do not forget a glass of milk! You will thank me later ;) or, maybe you won't...depends on how many brownies you end up eating!! 

Enjoy!

                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment