March 26, 2012

Fave Foods-Beef Enchiladas

Sunday night I made a new beef enchilada recipe and it was SO very good! Husband has a bit more limited list of favorite foods then I do so I try to listen to his requests, likes, and dislikes when I choose our menu for the week. I have always, always made Chicken Enchiladas (I can't seem to find the recipe online anywhere so I will have to post is later tonight) but Husband asked a while ago if I would make beef instead. Challenge accepted! I very closely based the recipe off of Pioneer Woman's recipe (I stinking LOVE her...anyone else? She cracks me up), found here. (I made only a few tiny changes and will note below).



Beef Enchiladas

Makes 6 large enchiladas

For the sauce:
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp canola oil (increased from 1 tbsp-this step seemed like it needed a little extra to look like her photo)
1 28 ounce can of red enchilada sauce (I used mild)
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

For the meat:
1 lb ground beef (I decreased from the original 1 1/2 lbs-since there are only 2 of us)
1 medium white onion, finely diced
1 7 ounce can diced green chilies (decreased from 2 of the 4 ounce cans)
1/2 tsp salt

6 medium flour tortillas (I chose flour tortillas and omitted the frying step)
3 cups grated Mexican blend shredded cheese (instead of Sharp Cheddar)
chopped cilantro for garnish, if you like it, which i do!

Due to Husband's dislikes, I omitted the olives, green onions, and incorporated cilantro...I sprinkled some fresh cilantro on top of my plate and it was delicious!

Directions:

To make the sauce:
In a medium sauce pan, whisk together flour and oil over medium heat and allow to cook for about one minute. Add red sauce, chicken broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer while you cook the meat. 

To make the meat:
Cook ground beef and diced onion in a skillet until brown then drain excess fat. Add green chilies and salt. Remove from heat and set aside. 

To assemble:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Dip each flour tortilla in the sauce and then fill with a large scoop meat mixture and a big pinch of the shredded cheese. Roll up the enchilada and place seam down in baking dish. Repeat with all 6 tortillas. Spoon remaining sauce over meat and top with a generous helping of shredded cheese. Husband loves cheese so in our house the more, merrier!

Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and light sour cream (this will just make your heart feel better about all the cheese)

This recipe was a HUGE success in our house! And, was much quicker to put together than my normal chicken recipe...although maybe quicker to my waist line as well. ;) If you make this and try any other variations, please let me know! I would love to hear about it!! 









No comments:

Post a Comment