May 31, 2012

Fresher Fave Foods- Homemade Applesauce

Along with the carrots that weren't getting eaten as quickly as they should, I had a few apples that were going to get away from me if I didn't use them up. Yesterday, while reading the blog, Huckleberry Prairie, I came across a recipe she posted for homemade apple sauce. (I just tried to go back to her site and find the recipe to link it here but the site is not working!? I will have to check back later. Hope she didn't delete her blog...it was super cute and I was really enjoying it!). My son LOVES applesauce and we go through quite a bit of it so I thought I would give this a shot and see how he liked it!

Homemade Applesauce

4 apples, peeled and diced (I used Gala apples)
1/4 cup sugar (I actually used Splenda Granulated)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup water


  • In a medium sauce pan, combine water, sugar, and cinnamon. Add your diced apples and mix well. 
  • Cook for 15-20 minutes over medium high heat. (be sure to check your water level while this is cooking and add a smidge more if needed...but, do remember (because I didn't) that this will release the apple juices when you mash and adding too much water with make it too "soupy"
  • Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Mash with masher (I don't have a masher...so I used one of my hand held mixer attachments)
  • Either serve immediately or refrigerate. 
This will make you house smell AH-MAZING! So good that my little one did not want to wait long to eat some of mommy's cooking. He ate a little bowl of barely mashed apples and he really, really liked it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment