May 31, 2012

DIY Tips and Tricks- Homemade Cleaners

Here are a few tips and tricks I have picked up along the way and put into use in My McCarty House: (most of these were probably found on Pinterest but I cannot remember so, if these are your ideas/recipes/etc please, please let me know so I can probably reference you! I will be sure and make note from now on...)


  • Cleaning a Glass Cook Top Stove:
    • if you have burnt spots on your glass cook top stove, make a paste of baking soda and water and apply to those areas. Let sit for about 30 minutes or so and then rub with fingers to remove tough spots. 
  • Cleaning a metal sink - 
    • baking soda and a couple of squeezes from a fresh lemon are the way to go! Just sprinkle baking soda around in your sink and add some fresh squeezed lemon juice and clean away! 
  • Homemade "All Purpose" Cleaner
    • Mix equal parts distilled white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and use it to clean surfaces. 
  • Homemade Tub Cleaner:
    • Mix in a leftover spray bottle (I have been using up my old store bought cleaners and then saving the bottles to re-use), mix 1/2 cup Dawn dish soap with equal parts vinegar and water. The article I read I believe said to just use the dawn and vinegar but I only had about a cup or so of vinegar left and filled the bottle the rest of the way with water and it seems to still work great. I used to use "Scrubbing Bubbles" to clean my bath tub but the smell was so strong and it just didn't seem to be working as well in our new house where we have hard water. With this cleaner, you just spray it on, allow to sit for a few minutes then just wipe it off and it works MUCH better than the bubbles without all the yucky fumes.
That's all I have for now but I have been trying to research some germ killing cleaners that are a little bit safer to use so I will let you know what else I find! 

No comments:

Post a Comment