May 31, 2012

Fresher Fave Foods - Fresh Roasted Carrots

Here is a recipe I made last night to go along with the beef stroganoff. I buy a lot of bulk fresh carrots from my local Aldi and peel them and keep them cut up for snacks in the fridge. However, last time I got a bit overzealous and they weren't getting eaten as fast as they should have so I thought "Instead of making canned cooked carrots, why not use up these fresh ones?" Seems silly and obvious, I know, but I am just keeping it real here, peeps....I will be the first to admit that I have not always turned to fresh foods vs canned but I am trying really hard to get away from that when possible. I keep the canned in my pantry but when something is discounted or in season, I would definitely rather go the fresh route. (I closely based this recipe off one found on Pinterest). So far, I have used this method for carrots and zucchini and both have been great. It is also very similar to the way I cook fresh asparagus which is is Pioneer Woman's recipe which can be found here.

Fresh Roasted Vegetables 

carrots, peeled and cut into 3" slices
olive oil
salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning blend - I used a seasoning blend from Aldi that's called simply "Steak Seasoning" - I actually use it on my grilled chicken and then vegetables and it is great for them. 

  • Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 
  • Place your sliced vegetables in a bowl and add about a tbsp (it doesn't even take this much) of olive oil and toss to coat (Trick- use a plastic bowl with a lid...that way you can put the lid on and shake the fire out of it to evenly coat the vegetables without making a mess!). 
  • Add seasoning of your choice and toss to coat. Place vegetables in a single layer on baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are starting to turn golden brown. Be sure and turn half way through for even cooking. 
Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment