April 2, 2012

Weekend Recap and a DIY Project!

Happy Monday! This weekend was lovely! Lots of outdoor play time and a little bit of yard work. I made a few simple dinners (no recipes to share really although I did make a "lighter" graham cracker crust recipe that turned out pretty tasty! I will do a post for that one here in a sec).

One thing that we did get accomplished this weekend was revamping a porch swing that was left by the precious owners of the house. While Husband was busy power washing and mowing, I got to work.

Here is the photo of the porch swing before:

Not "bad" but had some rusty spots and just looked like she needed a little makeover.

Saturday during our routine shopping trips, I picked up some sandpaper and paint (I will go over this in a second) at Walmart and found some cushions at Target that I thought would be just right. While Husband had the power washer out, he gave the swing a quick sanding and washing and once it was dry, I got to work. The paint I bought was:


Rust-Oleum Universal Paint and Primer in "Oil Rubbed Bronze" (color #249131)

This stuff is awesome! It has good coverage and dries SUPER fast! It retails for $5.77 per can at Walmart and I ended up having to go back and get more. In total, it took me four cans to completely spray the entire swing. Still not bad! I bought three single seat cushions at Target that were on sale (Go, Go NOW!!! all their  cushions are on sale this week) for only $12 each! 

Here is the finished DIY'd swing:


Ta-daaaa!! 
(please ignore our next DIY project....refinishing the patio..any ideas? tips?)

Here is the breakdown of our cost:
Swing    $0 (thank you homeowners who were going to trash this when they moved)
Paint      $23.08 plus tax
Seats     $39.33 with tax

Grand total: $62.41

Absolutely, totally worth it as the three of us piled on the swing as the sun was going down last night and as my son says went "swingy, swingy" until bath time. Glorious <3







No comments:

Post a Comment