April 2, 2012

Fave foods-"Light" Graham Cracker Pie Crust

Here is a recipe I made this weekend that was super easy. The recipe came from a book I have mentioned on here before called "Secrets of Fat-Free Baking" by Sandra Woodruff, RD, available here. Sometimes I like to throw together a quick and easy dessert of a graham cracker crust and some pudding filling. Easy, breezy...you know what I mean. I had copied down this recipe but hadn't tried it yet so Friday while the boys were outside hitting golf balls (I'm tellin' ya....golf...all day, every day), I decided to give it a whirl (no pun on the food processor intended there!)


Ingredients:
8 graham crackers
1 1/2 tbsp light butter or margarine, chopped into pieces
1 1/2 tbsp honey

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350. With a food processor, blend the graham crackers until crumbly. Measure. There should be about 1 1/4 cups of crumbs. Add the graham cracker crumbs back to the food processor and add butter and honey. Blend until mixture resembles meal. Using a spoon (or your fingers), press the crumbs into a glass pie dish coasted with non stick cooking spray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool then fill as desired. (These instructions are not verbatim from the book...I am just listing these from memory)

I let my pie crust cool and filled it with some sugar free vanilla pudding made with 1% milk and stuck it in the fridge while I made the rest of our dinner. This is a great light dessert and would be really, really good topped with some fresh strawberries or blueberries. I think because the crust does not contain much fat, it is a little more "crumbly" than a normal crust meaning it did not "hold together" as well as a normal crust would have. However, the taste was exactly the same so we didn't mind!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment