October 1, 2012

Fave* Foods-Pesto Chicken Casserole

*If you have read my recipes/posts for a little bit, you may notice that there is something missing from the title there....Be warned! This is NOT a "fit" recipe....but, it sure was delicious! I do think, however, that next time I make this, I will try and "lighten" it up and bit! 

Pesto Chicken Pasta Casserole-very slightly adjusted from original recipe found here
Makes 6 servings

1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
8 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta
3 cups diced, cooked chicken breast
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups fresh spinach
8 ounces (about 1/2 of a 15 ounce jar) Alfredo sauce
3 heaping tablespoons pesto sauce
3/4 skim milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x9 glass baking dish with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and olive oil until moist then set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions until cooked yet firm. Drain in colander and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine chicken, shredded cheese, spinach, Alfredo sauce, pesto sauce, and milk. Stir cooked pasta into chicken mixture and spread into the prepared baking dish. Top with the bread crumb mixture and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.

The original recipe calls for 2 cups of cheese however, I only had one (poor planning on my part) but, I don't feel like it needed any more. It also calls for diced tomatoes but, I left those out because the hubby doesn't like them. All in all, this recipe was super tasty and would even be good with the addition of some broccoli or fresh sliced mushrooms (don't worry, husband, I won't try to slip those in on you). I cut the recipe in half to make only the 6 servings (original made 12) and it was more than enough for the 3 of us. I will say that this tastes even better reheated (after the flavors absorb more in the fridge) so, if your household is the type that will eat leftovers happily, make more! Even my husband (who rarely will eat leftovers) heated this up on his own and ate it!

If you try this and have any pointers or ideas, let me know! I would love to hear how it turns out for you!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment